The Saga Continues

Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Revelations f/ Tre Williams “I Forgot To Be Your Lover”

RZA Breaks Down "The Man with the Iron Fists" Soundtrack


Producer: Bob Perry

RZA: “The song ‘I Forgot To Be Your Lover’ is a famous track from Stax Records of course. William Bell did it, and The Mad Lads did it. So The Revelations redid it, and changed it around. For the movie, I was given some cues from Stax Records. And they let me do whatever I wanted with them. So I reorchestrated them, changed them around, and did all that. ‘I Forgot To Be Your Lover’ was one of the songs I chose to reorchestrated.

“That’s why in this particular song, it breaks into the movie cue. That’s the version done by The Mad Lads. But the version they re-cut, is a mixture of The Mad Lads version and the one by William Bell. They were both on Stax Records, done about five years apart.

“Then Tre Williams, being the great soul singer he is, and one of the few soul singers that the Stax team respects, he went in and, bong. I’m definitely a fan of Tre, and I love The Revelations. He did a song for me on the Wu-Tang Chamber Music compilation, the Al Green cut with Ghostface. This dude is good. I think he has a future, when soul music gets back out there like that.”