The Saga Continues

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pusha T, Raekwon, Joell Ortiz, and Danny Brown “Tick, Tock”

RZA Breaks Down "The Man with the Iron Fists" Soundtrack 

Producers: Frank Dukes and S-1

RZA: “Crazy [lineup]. Pusha T was one of the last artists to get on the soundtrack. We were almost out of budget, and we had reached out to Push, and he said he would do it, but time was ticking, and the budget was ticking. And then there was like three days to go, and down to the crumbs. So we sent Push the track, and he aired it out.

“Joell Ortiz actually had a solo song on the soundtrack, but I didn’t want it to be where it was overkill. So we pulled it, but we didn’t want to let Joell Ortiz not be on the album. He killed the other one, too. We should make it a bonus track because with his lyrics, the kid is on fire. And Raekwon is on fire too. This dude is on fire.

“I wasn’t aware of Danny Brown, other than that he was big on the Internet, and that he was from Detroit. But he was brought to the table, and fortunately, I dug it. I heard his voice, and I said I wanted to use him on the hook, because he had an ill voice. But they were like, ‘He got a verse he recorded, too.’ So I heard it, and I was like, ‘Yo, I like the kid.’

“I think a few people in the studio weren’t understanding where [Danny Brown] was coming from. They were talking this, and talking that. But I pushed for him to be on here.”