The Saga Continues

Friday, March 16, 2012

GZA talks college science lectures and a new album 'Dark Matter'


Later this week GZA is set to perform with Latin super band Grupo Fantasma at a headlining Babygrande Records SxSW showcase this Saturday March 17 at the Haven Club.

GZA's new album Dark Matter is set to drop later this year on Babygrande Records. It's inspired by his fascination with astronomy, quantum physics and science fiction-turned-reality. To quote:

"I've been interested in many branches of science for years. RZA and I constantly exchange books and ideas. I recently met with quantum physicists who deepened my interest in the cosmos and gave me further inspiration for this next album. I want to take my listeners on a journey through deep space and deconstruct the idea of science fiction. If you think about it, 'science fiction' is an oxymoron but it makes sense because a lot of what was once fiction is now science and a lot of science is fiction until proven beyond hypothesis. For instance, when I was a kid there was a book called "A Wrinkle In Time" and some physicists at Cornell, whom I'm going to meet when I lecture there in April, actually created a wrinkle in time. That's incredible."

Expect the Genius to return to MIT March 21 to lecture in part with the Civic Media Lab. GZA will also be hitting the college circuit and lecturing at NYU, USC and Cornell later this spring.

Lecture Dates:

3/21 - MIT Civic Media Lab lecture

3/25 - NYU EMP Pop Conference/Clive Davis Institute

4/07 - Cornell University lecture T

Tour Dates:

3/17 - Austin - Babygrande Records' showcase at The Haven Club

4/18 - Brooklyn - Williamsburg Music Hall w/ Bad Brains

4/19 - Philadelphia - Trocadero w/ Bad Brains

4/20 - Washington D.C. - Howard Theater w/ Bad Brains

Source